Monday, February 16, 2009

Have you ever left your child alone in the car?

I opened my email today, and there was a link to BabyCenter - where I found a survey I just HAD to see the results of. It was titled "Have You Ever Left Your Child Alone in the Car?" and had a few questions.

82% of people said YES. 16% said NO.

8% said they ran into the store to run an errand. How would they know how long they would be gone? There is no way you can predict it will be a "quick" errand.

6% said they let their child finish their nap in the driveway. Alone. In the car.

3% of people said they were gone for 15-30 minutes (or MORE).

And the last question, Could you see your child from where you were?, 35% of people said NO.

I strongly disagree with some comments left on the survey about how being a single mom means it's impossible to NOT leave your child in the car a few times - if you can put them in the car to go somewhere, you can take them out once you get there. Your children are a responsibility. I never leave my kids in the car - not even to return a grocery cart.

They come with me.

Returning a cart with two kids, it doesn't matter. It's teaching them a lesson as well!

I have a 3 year old and a 4 month old, and it's not easy, but what would I do if something happened to them? They are relying on me. What if something happened to me and nobody knew they were in the car? I have heard too many stories about babies dying in hot cars and children being snatched to cover my eyes about the evil out in the world. I can't be ignorant to assume it could never happen to me - because that's what happens right before something DOES happen.

And that's my two cents for today.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment